Étouffée, boudin, cracklins, gumbo, jambalaya – our Southwest Louisiana food may be “different,” but some local restaurants elevate our eclectic palates to even greater heights. Here are eight ways to be an adventurous eater in Lake Charles.
- Botsky’s serves a variety of gourmet hot dogs. Try their Smoked Duck Sausage made with Apple Jack Brandy, topped with sautéed mushrooms, onion, and teriyaki sauce. (They also serve a link topped with bacon, a fried egg, and Steen's syrup.)
- Throughout Mardi Gras, Delicious Donuts sells 20 flavors of king cake, including a spicy boudin variety. Enjoy their Bacon Maple Glazed Donuts year around.
- Speaking of boudin, Tia Juanita’s Fish Camp specializes in Tex-Mex and offers a Boudin Quesadilla.
- Cotten’s Downtown is known as one of the best burger joints in town. Try the Donut Burger (beef patty sandwiched between a sliced donut with lettuce, tomato, onion, cheese, mayo, and mustard), the Jam Good Burger (my personal favorite, topped with onion rings, bacon, cream cheese, and locally made 7-pepper jelly), or the AFLAC Burger (two patties, double cheese, bacon, egg, jalapeño and grilled onions on toast, named for the AFLAC guys across the street who requested the biggest burger possible.)
- For true donut lovers, Walk-On’s Bistreaux and Bar makes a tempting bread pudding with Krispy Kreme donuts.
- Mama Shine’s Shaved Ice and More is open year around. In winter, they sell hot chocolate spiked with any of their 62 snow cone flavors.
- Over at L’Auberge Casino Resort, Jack Daniel’s Bar and Grill chef Lyle Broussard puts his signature culinary style on the majority of the menu. Try their Cajun Spring Rolls (smoked barbecue brisket and pulled pork wrapped in pastry dough and fried) or Mac and Cheese Croquettes (crispy fried with cheddar, bacon and scallions.)
- The Country Club at Golden Nugget offers a decadent brunch menu. For example, Gravlax (house cured Swedish salmon, fresh dill, kosher cucumber, crème fraîche, tobiko caviar, and a toasted bagel) and Shrimp “Depeto” Casserole (brown gulf shrimp scampi, lemon risotto, mozzarella cheese custard).
Whether sweet, savory, or a mash-up of sugar and spice, visit Lake Charles and try these unique menu items that thrill even the locals.