Mother’s Day can be a lot of pressure. What do you get for the woman who gave you everything? Fortunately, Southwest Louisiana has no shortage of events, experiences, and restaurants that can help you have the most fun with your day, no matter what her taste is!
The Earth Mom
Pack a picnic, slap on some sunscreen and get outside! If you’ve got a mom that loves the great outdoors, Southwest Louisiana has plenty to offer.
- Creole Nature Trail
- The Creole Nature Trail showcases all the beauty that Southwest Louisiana is famous for. With both mobile apps and physical maps available, this self-guided tour could make for a lovely morning spent with mom and family. For more information, check out the Creole Nature Trail Website.
- Grosse Savanne Tours and Fishing Trips
- Grosse Savanne offers three different eco-tours through the marsh including walking tours, driving tours, boat tours, and photography tours. Experience nature and wildlife with packages ranging from two to eight hours. Check out the packages here.
- If mom’s the sporting type, fishing tours are also offered! Fresh and saltwater fishing are available. Tours come with an expert guide and miles of water chock full of fish waiting to be caught! Find more information on their website here.
- Lake Area Adventures Kayak Rental & Kayak Tours
- Take a paddle down the waterways of Southwest Louisiana with mom and company in your very own kayak. Don’t have one? No problem! Lake Area Adventures offers kayak rental! Not sure where to go? That’s ok too—they offer guided tours for every skill level that will be sure to take mom’s breath away! For information and booking, check out the Lake Area Adventures Website!
Is your mom more of the arts-and-crafts type? Was she a home-made Halloween costume extraordinaire? Did all your birthday parties look like they came straight out of Pinterest? Don’t worry, we’ve got options for her too!
- Painting With a Twist
- Painting with a twist is offering two special classes on Mother’s Day! Sip some mimosas and get those creative juices flowing while you and your mom collaborate on a piece of art she’ll be able to take home and enjoy! For more information and to reserve your spots, visit the Painting With a Twist website!
- James and the Giant Peach
- Okay, maybe not the most mom-friendly story (keep an eye out for rhinos on the way to the theatre) but a Sunday matinee may be just what your mom needs to celebrate! Children’s Theatre Company is giving their final performance on Mother’s Day at 3:00 p.m. More information and tickets can be purchased here.
- Historic City Hall Art Exhibit
- Celebrate a little early by exploring the brand new exhibit at Historic City Hall—Lost in time: Sculpture by Martin Payton. The collection is inspired by New Orleans jazz musicians as well as the African heritage those musicians celebrate in their music. The works, made entirely out of scrap metal, pull imagery from African symbolism, the African American experience, and Jazz. An opening reception will be held on Friday, May 10 from 5:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. and will feature live jazz music from Marcus Davis. If you miss the reception, the museum will be open on Saturday from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. and a Spotify playlist curated by the artist himself will be available to listen to as you enjoy the exhibit. For more information about the Historic City Hall and its upcoming exhibits, visit their Facebook here!
Motor Head Mom
Big engines, big stunts, and big risks—adrenaline junkie moms need not worry, we’ve got just the ticket!
- Chennault Airshow
- Thrill-seeking moms won’t want to miss the jaw-dropping spectacle that is the Chennault Airshow. Featuring performances by experienced pilots, aerial acrobats, wing walking, BMX bikers, big trucks, and even bigger stunts—there’s something at the Chennault Airshow for everyone! You can even take mom on a private helicopter ride with Sierra Aeronautics! For more information about the many performances and exhibits and to purchase tickets, visit their website here.
The Brunch-Loving Mom
Full disclosure: any and all of the above moms can (and probably do) enjoy a mean brunch. After all, isn’t that what weekends were made for? Make sure to carve out some time in your busy Mother’s Day weekend to celebrate everyone’s favorite meal!
- Luna Bar & Grill
- Visit the newly expanded and remodeled Luna Bar & Grill with the whole family to celebrate Mother’s Day! Sunday’s at Luna always feature a jazz brunch, but this extra special Sunday will also have a champagne special for moms! They do NOT take reservations, however, so be sure to show up early to snag a seat! Check out their Facebook for more information!
- The Villa
- Another great brunch spot, this downtown eatery has plenty of options to choose from and will be featuring an extra special Mother’s Day Dish from Chef Amanda Cusey. Brunch is served between 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. Call (337)436-6251 to make a reservation and check out their Facebook for some drool-worthy brunch photos to get your tummies rumbling.
- Charlestown Farmer’s Market
- Maybe crowds and waiting in line isn’t your mom’s thing! Head out Saturday morning to the Charlestown Farmer’s Market on the front plaza at Historic City Hall Arts and Cultural Center and grab some fresh, locally sourced ingredients to make a homemade Mother’s Day brunch that will blow her mind. Better yet, take mom along with you on Saturday and let her pick out a few soaps, jams or sweet treats to take home!
Don’t let the pressure get to you this Mother’s Day—just sit back, relax and let Southwest Louisiana inspire you with all it has to offer!