Shelley Johnson, executive director
Megan Hartman, senior marketing manager
Lake Charles/Southwest Louisiana Convention & Visitors Bureau
337-436-9588 or 800-456-SWLA
Lake Charles - Southwest Louisiana's Best Kept Secret
It's not that denizens of Lake Charles don't play well with others. It's more like they have had a long-standing, clandestine love affair.
But the jig is up and folks from all over Louisiana and across the country are discovering many of the great things about Lake Charles - Southwest Louisiana's Best Kept Secret.
• Imperial Calcasieu Museum. A leading cultural and educational community resource for almost 50 years, the museum offers a wonderful overview of city and area history through pre-1850 and early 1900s artifacts, Mayan expedition finds, Native American history, contemporary works, period rooms and a research library. Don't miss the Lynda Benglis Sculpture Garden and Sallier Oak outside. The latter is a stunning Louisiana Live Oak believed to be between 350 and 400 years old, and is the third oldest oak tree in the state.
• Cottage Shops Cultural District. Designated as a Cultural District by the State of Louisiana, the District is an epicenter for local talent, art and businesses featuring original artworks, handmade jewelry, unique Louisiana products, vintage clothing and antiques.
• Creole Nature Trail All-American Road. As "a hands-on opportunity to experience one of America's untamed natural wonders," the trail highlights the area's diverse ecological environment. It also encompasses several noteworthy entities that are home to a wealth of plant and animal life both above and below the waterways.
• Mardi Gras Museum of Imperial Calcasieu. Lake Charles is home to one of the best Mardi Gras museums in the country. And it's no wonder, considering that it also boasts the second largest Mardi Gras celebration in the state with 50 krewes. Fantastic costumes, historic displays, animated mannequins ... you name it, and it is here.
• L'Auberge Casino Resort. Although a complete departure from the ambiance and flair of small town Louisiana, L'Auberge is a stunning, French-inspired property featuring a 26-story hotel with 1,000 spacious rooms, suites, and villas, a casino with over 1,600 slots and 62 table games, a spa, golf club, entertainment, shopping and eight innovative dining options.
This is just the beginning of what Lake Charles has to offer.
So no more whispering! Shout it from the rooftops! The secret is out!
Here's how to find Lake Charles' Best Kept Secrets:
Creole Nature Trail All-American Road
Imperial Calcasieu Museum
L'Auberge Casino Resort
866-580-7444, 337-395-7777, www.ldlcasino.com
Mardi Gras Museum of Imperial Calcasieu