Mardi Gras Shoebox Float Contest
From the wonderful world of the carnival season, the Lake Charles / Southwest Louisiana Convention & Visitors Bureau will bring Mardi Gras to life with our Shoebox Float Contest.
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: January 6, 2020
*NOTE- Make sure to review the Rules & Notes below before creating your float.
|Pre-School (Pre-K & K)||Child (4-12 Years)||Individual|
|Elementary (Grades 1-5)||Teen (13-17 years)||Agency or Company|
|Middle School (Grades 6-8)||Adult (18+ years)|
|High School (Grades 9-12)||Club/Organization (Adult/Civic)|
|Club/Organization (K-12)||Children with Exceptionalities|
|Children with Exceptionalities|
- Float must be constructed using a traditional cardboard shoebox no larger than 10” x 13” x 5” and limited only by your imagination.
- Decorations should not exceed 20” tall (measured from the bottom of the box).
- Avoid wheels, placing float on a truck body, motorized toys or a base larger than the shoebox.
- If your entry exceeds the size limitations it will be disqualified from being judged in the contest but will remain on display for participation in the People’s Choice voting.
- An amateur or professional applicant may enter one float per applicant.
- A school group may enter no more than three floats per class (a class group entry).
- The name of the individual/school group must only be visible on the BOTTOM of the float; your float will be given a number for judging purposes.
- Contest entries must be delivered to the Welcome Center (1205 N. Lakeshore Dr., Lake Charles) on Friday, January 31, 2020 from 3:00 - 4:30 pm.
- Judging criteria is based on the theme, originality, and construction of your float.
- Awards will be presented Saturday, February 1, 2020, by Gumbeaux Gator at the Bureau at noon.
- Shoebox floats will remain on display at the Bureau through Wednesday, February 26, 2020.
- The People’s Choice Award to be announced on Wednesday, February 26, 2020, at 10:00 a.m.
- Once the display has concluded, the floats must be picked up by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, February 28, 2020. Any floats not picked up by this date will be discarded.
Child, Teen, Adult & Professional
$50 + 2 Royal Gala Tickets + Plaque (1st)
$25 + Plaque (2nd)
Pre-K / Elementary / School Groups & Organizations:
Gumbeaux Gator Party! + Plaque (1st)
$25 toward a class/group party + Plaque (2nd)
Middle School / High School / Groups & Organizations:
$50 for a class/group party + Plaque (1st)
$25 for a class/group party + Plaque (2nd)
Best of Show $75 + 2 Royal Gala Tickets + Plaque