Recognized as a City Historic District with an active neighborhood organization, the Margaret Place District is a jewel-box sized area bound by the Lake, Park Avenue, Ryan Street, Dr. Michael DeBakey Drive and Griffith Coulee. This neighborhood is located southwest of downtown Lake Charles and developed as the original streetcar-subdivision after the Great Fire of 1910 encouraged suburban growth.
The developer had sold lots on what had been known as "Margaret's Pasture" where the principal Perkins house and farm had been located. Prior to the Perkins, the area had been settled in the early 1800s by Michel de Pithon, a French veteran of the Napoleonic wars who immigrated to Louisiana and bought the land for "a barrel of whiskey and two good blankets."
Click here to download the Historic Calcasieu Parish Guide!