Search
Go
>
>
>
>
>
>

Vinton

Citizens of Vinton, LA passed a petition to incorporate the village in 1910. After an election on the matter of Vinton, Governor Jared Y. Sanders signed a proclamation declaring the community to be an incorporated village. As the village increased in population, it later became the town of Vinton, Louisiana.

The quaint city of Vinton, LA with a small population of nearly 3,200, was once traveled by civil war soldiers. The soldiers cut a road extending from an area in Vinton known as “Niblett’s Bluff” on the Sabine River to the city of Alexandria. Bret works of the Civil War were constructed at Niblett’s Bluff and remains of them can still be seen today. Army regiments of the Louisiana and Texas Confederacy were stationed near Vinton, Louisiana during the war.

The Civil War activities that took place in the Vinton, LA area have sparked quite an interest with area residents who hold re-enactments of battles often at the Nibletts Bluff area. Robert F. Evans of Vinton, Iowa, originally purchased the majority of the land, where the city currently lies. Mr. Evans sold the property to George Horridge who named the community Vinton after the hometown of its first owner.

Vinton, Louisiana has long been known for its horse racetrack. The Delta Downs Racetrack Casino and Hotel, which has recently been renovated into a multi-million dollar casino and racetrack features live horse racing and many other forms of entertainment.

The city holds an annual anniversary celebration in the Vinton City Park that offers free hot dogs, live music and lots of family fun. Vinton is a wonderful community with friendly people that offers a small-town atmosphere with big-city fun!

Click here for more information about Vinton, Louisiana.